Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Deano's Pizza

If you're ever passing though Fillmore,
and let's face it the odds are pretty good.
You might just want to stop at Deano's Pizza.

I was quite happy to add Our former state capitol to the elite list of places in the review. But the question was "which of their seven restaurants (estimate) should we eat at?" (Yes I did just end that sentance with a preposition, but I'm too lazy to fix it.)

We started at the south end of town (where by the way, gas seems to be quite a bit cheaper (than the north end of town)). We thought for sure we would go where we always go, Larry's Drive in, but we drove through town anyway. And a few blocks later we found Deano's Pizza.

At length we decided Deano's was our place.

We were even more sold when we noticed that they had a mini-golf course in the back.

The Entrance is on the corner of the building.
There are two doors,
One facing each way.
I unfortunately picked the one that faces south.

As you enter it, um doesn't really look like a place of food.
but if you go upstairs,
and pass the room with the pool table you'll find yourself in a hallway.
and if you look carefully,
at the end of the hallway, you'll likely see a counter
(you know a place where you could order).
Actually there is a room off to the left, which also has such a counter.

The room to the left also has tables.
(where you could eat your pizza)
I would actually order from here if I had it to do again.

The smell is pleasant, but perhaps a bit stronger in the dining area.
The menu as you might guess is mostly Pizza.
The selection is good, but nothing unexpected.

And it's mostly pizza,
yeah they have like a lasagne but we didn't get that.
Since I can pretty much eat anything,
I let my sister pick our Pizza.

She selected a Pepperoni, with mushrooms and olives.
I thought that sounded great.

What I forgot, is that I don't really like mushrooms, but I'll get into that later.

So we ordered our pizza, and our drinks and sat down,
(they have fanta and sprite, and other Coke products)
As we entered the dining area we noticed to very interesting things.
First the walls.
The walls are two toned.
With a fairly bright dark green on top,
and A lovely red on the bottom. You know,
Italian ambiance.

The second thing we noticed was a pizza.
Someone was just getting theirs,
and it looked DIVINE!
Granted, we were hungry,
but it looked good,

Half of it was Hawaiian, and half was something else.
It smelled good too.
Suddenly we were ready to eat.

But this is one of those "we make it when you order it" kind of places,
So we had to wait a little while to actually partake.

While we were waiting we decide our one medium pizza might not be enough.
(And for the record I think we were right.)

So I went to add an order of breadsticks.
(Turns out it's a pizza with no toppings, so I got a medium of that too.)

But how about the pizza.
Ah the pizza,
The first thing you notice, of course is the smell,
but shortly thereafter, we noticed the pizza.
More specifically we noticed the mushrooms.
I guess I was expecting those wimpy things you get in a can,
but that's not what I found at all.

I actually like wimpy mushrooms, I mean, they're not my favorite,
but they're not bad either.

But this pizza didn't have wimpy's, in fact it was the furthest thing from it.
I forgot that Fillmore is the home to one of the states largest mushroom farms.
And very likely the mushrooms came from there.
And they were fresh
(they may have even been picked that same day).

Yes our pizza didn't have small chunks of wimpy mushrooms,
It had rather large (though not overly thick) slices of very fresh
Fillmore Mushrooms.

The crust was good.
The sauce was actually good too.
neither one got in the way of a good experience.

The crust actually had a good taste to it.
It wasn't a strong flavor but it was a good flavor. The texture was also nice.
The sauce was similar, A little sweet, but not too much,
not too salty, nothing weird, just a nice middle of the road sauce,
which if you ask me is usually best.

When the bread sticks came they did in fact look like a pizza.
They had something like Parmesan on them and they came with a little cup of
sauce for dipping.
Oddly though, the sauce was cold (if you want the sauce warm you can order a plain pizza,
but I it costs about 30¢ more). I don't know, they might even warm the sauce for you if you ask,
but it's not the default.
Still the bread sticks were good, and the cold sauce wasn't bad.
We got the medium bread sticks, and I don't know if they give different sizes of sauce with different orders, but we had enough.
it was close... I probably would have liked to have just a little more but still it worked.

All in all it was a very nice experience, and far more than I expected in the middle of nowhere
(which oddly enough seems to be about the middle of everywhere too).

My sister absolutely loved it she said something like "Wow this pizza is amazing!"
And "This is the best pizza I've had in a really long time!"

I too enjoyed it, but I guess not as much.
Yes it was very good, even better than average.
The service was not great, but we had what we needed.
And the food more than compensated for our slight lack of service (mostly the two or three employees just sit in the kitchen, but they will help you if you need it).
All in all I would give it six wooden spoons.

The Miniature Golf course is open roughly from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
They have a miniature replica of the Former State house,
and they have a windmill.

But I can't fully comment on the course, because we didn't play.

Deanos Pizza Tel: (435) 743-6385

96 S Main St Fillmore, UT 84631

6 wooden Spoons out of 8



Deano's Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments: